This document was last updated 11/10
A few paragraphs down you'll find a lot of detailed info about our showcase and open mic nights. However, being that most folks don't have time for all that readin' and such, here's the basic skinny on booking Reno Music Project shows:
- The Reno Music Project is currently booking regular show dates and open mic "featured performers" at Walden's Coffeehouse. This is an ALL-AGES, non-smoking venue, however, beer & wine is available for the 21+ crowd.
- Our performance space is a cozy listening room, best suited for acoustic and semi-acoustic acts (Max. Occupancy: 90). There is an outdoor deck (with heaters during the winter) for crowd overflow and tobacco enthusiasts. We provide an 8-channel PA system with stage monitors.
- We do not charge a cover, but performers are welcome to solicit tips, sell merchandise, etc. There is no paid compensation provided by the house, however, food & drink is available for the performers on a given show night.
- As with most venues, our booking criteria starts with, "can they draw at least 20 people?" We'd love to book every out-of-town act, but unless you have a huge Reno following, you'll need to pair up with someone local and draw some listeners. We understand if you're traveling on a budget and need to focus on paid gigs, in which case we recommend booking a show at one of Reno's many music bars.
Now for those who aren't into that whole brevity thing, here's the wordy version.
The efforts of Todd South (voted "Best Musician of 2006") and the Reno Music Project have received awards from the Reno News & Review for "Best Open Mic" (2011, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002 -- 2nd place 2010, 2009) and "Best Place For Live Music" (2004, 2003 -- 2nd place in 2006, 2005), "Best Place For Quiet Music" (2008), and the Reno Gazette-Journal/Metromix "Best Open Mic" award in 2010. As such, we of the Reno Music Project are proud to contribute to Reno's growing reputation as one of the friendliest cities for original music in the West!
The Reno Music Project is currently booking show dates for Walden's Coffeehouse in Reno, Nevada. This is a non-smoking, family-friendly facility (Max. Occupancy: 90) which has earned a reputation as a cozy place to enjoy acoustic & semi-acoustic live music, with a focus on supporting singer-songwriters and bands featuring original material. Food & beverages are served during events, including beer & wine.
DEMO / AUDITION:
The Reno Music Project features ORIGINAL music performed by a variety of talented local & national artists. In order to be considered for a show you must have at least 60 minutes of original material ready, and we need to hear a sample before we can book you! To accomplish this, either perform a set at our Open Mic Night, or provide a link to your online demo/promo kit. Online promo kits are cheap for you and preferable for us. If you prefer sending us your kit via snail mail (or want us to listen to your whole album) address it to:
Reno Music Project
c/o Walden's Coffeehouse
3940 Mayberry Dr.
Reno, Nevada 89509
OPEN MIC NIGHT:
Our award-winning open mic is held every Saturday night. The sign-up list is available at 5:30pm, show at 6:00pm at Walden's Coffeehouse, and includes several 10 minute performance spots and occasionally a 20 minute pre-booked "featured performance".
The Reno Music Project and Walden's Coffeehouse strive to provide the best all-ages environment for the promotion and performance of live music for music's sake. As such we ask that you abide by these few rules:
- ORIGINAL MUSIC PREFERRED: We want to experience your creativity!
- NO PROFANITY: Lyrical content must be suitable for a family audience.
- 10 MINUTE LIMIT: Use your time wisely! The audience wants to hear your music, not wait while you set up your entire collection of gadgets.
- RESPECT THE GEAR: We provide an 8-channel PA system (four mains, 2 floor & 3 ceiling monitors) and 2-3 mics. You provide the instruments and any extra cables/mics necessary for your set. Please treat our equipment with respect and make use of it in a professional manner.
- AUDIO LEVELS ARE SET BY HOST: 95dB room limit.
- PHOTOS / RECORDING: All participants agree to be photographed and/or recorded for promotional purposes.
WHAT TO PLAY:
The Northern Nevada area has plenty of venues for cover bands and karaoke singers (and too few for songwriters), so ORIGINAL MATERIAL is encouraged and appreciated at all our events! The Reno Music Project open mic and showcases are the perfect outlet for sharing your songwriting talent with people who really appreciate it.
We're open minded about music genres and will review all booking requests, keeping in mind our family friendly all-ages atmosphere and the 95dB limit on sound during performances. However, certain groups known for attracting violent & ill-behaved audiences will not be booked or tolerated. Extremely loud or purposefully obnoxious music is not suitable for our audience and is better left to the bar & nightclub scene. If you're looking for such a venue, there's a decent list of local clubs maintained here:
The information for pre-booked shows is similar to that for Open Mic Night. We provide an 8-channel PA system (four mains, 2 floor & 3 ceiling monitors). Microphones, cables, amps, DI boxes, etc., are the performer's responsibility. Our PA system is plenty for the room; if you think you need more power, the room is too small for your band. Original, semi-acoustic music is preferred & encouraged. We're open to a wide variety of genres. A professional soundman is available and audio levels are determined & set by the host. The management of Walden's Coffeehouse reserves the right to enforce a 95dB room limit on the sound; please respect the ears of yourself and your audience! Contact Todd South in advance if you have any special requirements or questions about the house sound system: firstname.lastname@example.org -- 775-530-2940 (text/vox)
SECURITY & ACCESS:
The Reno Music Project and Walden's Coffeehouse support & encourage all-ages, family friendly music events. As such, parents are encouraged and welcome to bring their children; concert etiquette is suggested and encouraged for all attendees. We do, however, reserve the right to deny entry for ANY reason. If a security or safety problem develops during an event, UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN UNDER 18 may be denied entry or asked to leave the premises.
Food & drink is provided to performers by the house. Performers are welcome to sell their merchandise and place a tip jar near the stage, however, there is no direct cash compensation provided by the house, nor is a "cover" charged at the door. Special events may involve ticket sales if agreed upon by artist and venue; inquire for further info.
Shows hosted by Todd South are digitally recorded and made available on CD or MP3 to artists (and audience members if approved by the artist) at a rate of $5 per quarter hour. All proceeds from live CD sales go toward maintaining and promoting Reno Music Project events. Artists are free to use their own off-board recording equipment to document their show; the RMP recordings are done as a service to those who find it useful, and for promotional purposes.